GREEN TEAM PROGRAM COORDINATOR
See below for details:
Hours: May 1 -August 31, 2017, 30 hours per week
The Green Team program will employ 14 Hyde Park youth ages 15-18 and two Crew Leaders ages 20-24. The Team will work 25 hours per week Monday-Friday from July 10-August 18. Crew Leaders will receive training in late June/early July and will conduct program evaluation and wrap up at the end of August. The Program will offer youth skilled landscape training and environmental education, community engagement training and job readiness training. At Sherrin Woods Urban Wild youth will continue trail restoration, while participating in renovation planning to create more trails and trail heads, scenic overlook seating and signage. They will work with local neighborhood association to educate residents about the planned renovations. At West Street Urban Wild youth will continue invasive plant removal and watering of newly planted trees. At Riley House youth will work with seniors to plan and install a shade garden and seating area in the courtyard.
Youth receive re-built bicycles which they use to travel between worksites, experiencing the value of sustainable transportation and increasing their level of physical fitness. Our staff and our community partners provide a comprehensive combination of job readiness training, environmental education and career exploration including proper workplace conduct and conflict resolution; safety in the woods, bike safety and healthy eating; skilled landscaping and woodland ecology; personal financial management; resume preparation, interviewing, and college planning. Youth also explore careers with the Boston Police and Fire Departments and with the USDA Forest Service. This year we expect to engage some new trainers to teach youth about the history of the Neponset River, current problems, soil and water testing, and restoration strategies. To learn more about the Green Team visit our website: www.swbcdc.org.
Program Coordinator Responsibilities:
Working under the direction of the SWBCDC Assistant Director, the Green Team Program Coordinator will have primary responsibility for administering all aspects of the Green Team program. The Program Coordinator will:
- Assist with hiring of Crew Leaders and Youth Crew Members
- Orient, train and supervise 3 Crew Leaders
- Coordinate environmental education and job readiness trainings with volunteer trainers
- Meet periodically with Boston Parks Department staff to determine the scope of work and monitor work progress at Urban Wild sites
- Create program schedules
- Track staff hours and prepare invoices
- Participate in work and educational activities as needed to observe the Crew and Crew Leaders in the field, and to photograph the Team’s work.
- Attend appropriate workshops and networking events, as determined by the Assistant Director
- Work with Southwest Boston CDC staff as needed and participate in staff meetings
- Oversee annual program evaluation
- Supervising or teaching youth
- Youth program development
- Experience working in diverse communities
- Interest in caring for wooded conservation land or gardening/farming
- Ability to ride a bicycle
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Well organized, able to multi-task
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a team member
- Staff or intern supervision
- Landscaping, trail maintenance, gardening/farming
- Bike safety and maintenance
- Environmental education
Compensation: $25 per hour
For questions call 617-990-4498. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Patricia Alvarez at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting will remain online until the position has been filled. Southwest Boston CDC is an equal opportunity employer.